Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 2
You know I meet two kinds of gun owners. The first type can tell you the four rules of gun safety when asked and would never leave a loaded weapon unsupervised. They probably have a safe where they keep them.

I got invited to go shooting recently, by a very conservative guy I know. I thought he'd be the first type but wasn't totally sure. I know he has a CCW and does carry, and has an arsenal of bought and inherited guns.

I met him at the range. He had all his guns locked with a cable through the action and trigger locks.
Said he keeps them all in a safe at home. Since it was my first time at that range I had to watch a safety video. There was a safety person monitoring the lanes.

We had a good time. It was fun to shoot, though way more expensive than I remembered from 25 years ago when I used to shoot regularly (before marriage/before kids) - I bought most of the ammo since he was providing the guns.

First time with an AR-15. These things are so easy to shoot fairly accurately. After a few shots I could put all my shots in the red at 75 feet, the length of the indoor range.

So it was fun and safe. I trust this guy to be a responsible gun owner. He's trained and takes it very seriously. Attempts to restrict his gun ownership is counterproductive, IMO.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.