No. of Recommendations: 13
You know, I'd like to write a nice book someday. There's a few things I want to avoid:

- Words with odd apostrophies.
- Proper names with Z's and K's and Y's. Especially nothing like " Zyyk'kyk'l", that's just all wrong.
- No names that sound like dark, or evil, or whatever. My lead evildoer cannot be Darkkyn Zyk'ky. That's bad.
- there should not be a secret society made of women with vaguely lesbian overtones.
- The lead character should not be the Chosen One Destined to Defeat the Dark Lord of Darkyn Hill. Instead, it will be Bill, who whittles combs.
- Dwarves, if they exist, will not enjoy the earth or mountains, and will not drink, or be covered with hair.
- Elves will not necessarily all be gay, with fruity silver hair and lavender eyes.
- Nothing is 'chiarascuro'. Something may be 'shaded'.
- The bad guys will be just as smarter, or maybe smarter, than the good guys.
- If there are orcs, they won't be mindless tools of ugly evil. Some of them will have jobs, or perhaps paint.
- If there is magic, I will not theoreticize as to why it exists. It's there, and that's enough.
- The past will not be shrouded in the mists of time. It may be lost, if no one forgot to write it down.
- The bard, if there is one, will not be a womanizer.
- My forests will not walk and talk. if they do, then my world will have very poor maps, because the Shadow Forest of El'Akb'ar has decided to go south to hit on willow trees.
- My king will not be wise and good, or shallow and petty evil. he's probably just an average king.
- my peasants will not be particularly happy, I mean, they're peasants. They may beat at the dirt with sticks, if I won't get sued for that.

Sunrunner4 - liking this idea.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.