Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 8
You know what I find most incredible about this thread? That anyone, even for a fleeting moment, might think that it is currently possible to program a machine to generate consistently lucid (dare I say elegant?) prose that is on topic, responds to prior posts in a coherent manner, injects cultural references and humor, maintains a consistent personality, etc., etc. Maybe it's just because I spend most of my day having all kinds of trouble getting computers to perform far, far simpler tasks, but, sheesh! We techies can sometimes be mighty good, but we're nowhere NEAR that good! I'd be willing to bet that we won't be that good 50 years from now.

I worry just a little bit about such a person investing in tech at all. They might find themselves susceptible to some of the other far-fetched sci-fi "stories" that occasionally pop up in that arena, generally to the demise of investors.

A final note: I did not intend this rant to be another swipe at poor stvfx (who has had a rough couple of days) but to be more generally addressed toward the problem that I often encounter of people believing that tech is almost like magic and can do practically anything. Nothing like working in a tech-related field for a while to inject a healthy dose of "Suuuurre you're going to have that capability by 2003..." into your thinking.

DeepBlue@youneverknowwhatwilldriveyououtoflurkmode.com
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.