Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 8
Red delicious apple!

You might be red, you scoundrel, BUT YOU ARE NOT DELICIOUS!

impolite
needs to be more specific when stating "go ahead and pick up some apples while you are at the store"
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
CameraNerd got a chuckle out of this.

He also told me to let you know that Gala and Fuji apples are the best, for they are solid and crunchy and sweet.

And now that I think about it, I remember that my nephew, Bubby, who is just shy of 4 years old, has decided that he will ONLY eat Gala Apples. As in, last Christmas when we had some apples around my mom's house, he SPECIFICALLY said "I want GALA APPLE!".

CameraNerd had bought a couple of these at the store to have his own private stash. That did NOT last long before Bubby found out about them and started making nice with Uncle CameraNerd to get a GALA apple.

d
No. of Recommendations: 2
that Gala and Fuji apples are the best, for they are solid and crunchy and sweet.

And now that I think about it, I remember that my nephew, Bubby, who is just shy of 4 years old, has decided that he will ONLY eat Gala Apples. As in, last Christmas when we had some apples around my mom's house, he SPECIFICALLY said "I want GALA APPLE!".

I wouldn't eat anything but Gala apples until I tried a Cameo.

MOI
No. of Recommendations: 4
Gala and Fuji apples are the best, for they are solid and crunchy and sweet.

Honeycrisp apples are good, too.
You people are killing me.

impolite
Good Apple-less
You people are killing me.

impolite
Good Apple-less

Between this and the An Open Letter board, I can't get Original Sin out of my head.

MOI
No. of Recommendations: 2
Pink Ladys and Honey Crisps are favorites around here!

Always ;-)
Hunzicrisp (according to another board)
Good Apple-less

Yeah, I'm really regretting missing the farmer's market yesterday.

- Megan
Sub-par varieties (Red Delicious) make excellent apple brown betty / apple crisp. Just saying.
Sub-par varieties (Red Delicious) make excellent apple brown betty / apple crisp. Just saying.

Depends on the texture, to me. Not much will save a mealy apple. Third (fourth?) the vote for Honeycrisp apples, but Pink Ladies are good, too. The crisper and sweeter, the better! Cooking apples have different qualifications- we get Macouns or Courtland Winesaps for cooking (among other varieties), but any farmer's market will have good local cooking apples, assuming you live where there are apple trees.

~Annagail, almost recovered from the Sore Throat From Hell (was some sort of bacterial infection, really icky and painful. Lymph nodes need to not get any bigger and I need to not be tired tomorrow morning, or else mono starts being suspected. Missed 3 days of grad school and slept 16ish hours today?- good thing I'm not going home this weekend...)
Paula Red and Ida Red in my house.....but I'm a fan of Gala too.....

isewquilts
Pink Ladies get my vote...
ooooo farmer's market! I'll be over that way tomorrow, local Pink ladies!!! Thanks for the ear burn ;-)

kasha
After reading this I'll have to find some Pink Ladies to try. No one here likes the Braeburn?

I agree with impolite, Red Delicious? No, not so much. I recall so-so flavor, and horribly grainy texture. Ew. Not at all the nice crisp texture of other varieties.

DizChick
No. of Recommendations: 1
add Ginger Gold to that list of common ones

peace & apples
t

lucky to live around heirloom apple farms
and winesap and pink ladies...

peace & crisp
t
my favorite apples are hard apple cider
my favorite apples are hard apple cider

mmmmm, strongbow. . . .

Ishtar

http://www.strongbowcider.com/

Oh yeah, the Ginger Gold apples are awesome--I turn them into apple pie filling. I've got ten quarts of Ginger Gold apple pie filling, yum-my!

Yes ma'am you certainly are! Although we're pretty spoiled here too--we have neighbors with many unknown types of apples, but we do know that they are sure good and make excellent applesauce, pie filling, spiced apple rings...the list is endless. And one neighbor has a cider apple tree so if I can ever find a press and the time I could have some homemade apple cider...maybe next year.

StB.
if I can ever find a press and the time I could have some homemade apple cider...

you know there IS a Seattle area TMFer who has a press and does this...

peace & SP
t