Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 2
You listed the dividends (the unfortunate credit union term for interest) earned on the CDs. But that is not important. For tax purposes, you need to know the dividends paid.

The CDs with terms over 1 year probably pay the interest either once a year, or quarterly. The shorter ones may pay the interest only at maturity.

You'll need to dig through your records to see what interest payments were actually made.

It really doesn't matter how often the CD pays interest. I looked up the rules after my earlier post. CDs with terms under one year are generally taxed at maturity (though you can opt to report on an as earned within tax year basis). CDs with terms of more than one year are treated like OID. Interest is reported annually whether actually received or not.


Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.