Skip to main content
This Board Has Moved

This board has been migrated to our new platform! Check out the new home page at discussion.fool.com or click below to go directly to the new Board on the new site.

Go to the New Site
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
You make one great point that almost no one in the public discourse will: without the massive and perhaps overdone USG cash helicopter drop, there would have been widespread misery & the recovery from that would take years.

It is very difficult to prove a negative, and subsequently, it is very difficult to prove what might have happened. All I would say is that three rounds of public stimulus, as well as the programs to prop up businesses, supplement unemployment and ease rental payments all received bipartisan support at the time, and most were enacted during the previous administration. You can argue whether they did too much or too little at the time, but what they did, they did together.

I do think the Fed, the only organization actually responsible for identifying and mediating inflationary trends, dropped the ball. But I was right with them a year ago thinking that supply chain issues would be resolved as the world got vaccinated and logistic logjams were exhausted. But the initial hopes for the vaccine did not pan out, a combination of a refusal by half the country to get vaccinated, and the reality that while helping prevent death and serious illness, they did not substantially stop the spread.

And while some may dismiss getting sick as no big deal anymore, certainly not worth masking, physically distancing, or gathering in mass indoors, I can personally attest that C19 cost me over $2k and 14 days I'll never get back. And that was after being twice boosted. I can only imagine the personal and financial cost had I not been as prepared and taken as many precautions as I did and continue to do.

But back to the Fed, I think it was a combination of expectations that more would embrace vaccination and common sense health safety protocols, that businesses would figure out their new normal and return to reliable (and more predictable) business operations, compounded by the impact of the Russian war of aggression against Ukraine, that formed a perfect storm to drive inflation through the roof.

Still, however, we have short memories. During the energy crisis in 1976, gas experienced a 6.86% inflation rate. My 30-year fixed 1995 mortgage rate was 5.25%. And I had an auto loan at 4%. I keep reading how this inflation is the worst ever and I just have to wonder how young those who are saying that really are. Or is it just selective memory or the need for click-bait headlines that dooms us to forget the past and repeat past mistakes.

We are also a self-centered nation. I guess all nations are, but as bad as gas and food prices are here in the US, as you noted, they are far worse over in Europe and anywhere else that was dependent on Ukrainian grain or Russian oil. These are global markets and when you suppress one contributor to the market, there is tremendous for the others to fill the gap and that means inflation until supply can rise to meet demand. Because don't dare suggest anyone reduce their demand.

Fuskie
Who continues to believe optimistically that the night always seems darker before the dawn and his Urologist father would tell his kidney stone patients, this too shall pass...

-----
Premium Home Fool: Ask me a Foolish Question, I'll give you a Foolish Response!
Ticker Guide: The Walt Disney Company (DIS), Intuit (INTU), Live Nation (LYV), CME Group (CME), MongoDB (MDB), Trip Advisor (TRIP), Vivendi SA (VIVHY), JFrog (FROG), Virgin Galactic (SPCE), Axon Technologies (AXON), Blackbaud (BLKB)
Disclaimer: This post is non-professional and should not be construed as direct, individual or accurate advice
Disassociation: The views and statements of this post are Fuskie's and are not intended to represent those of The Motley Fool or any other sane body
Disclosure: May own shares of some, many or all of the companies mentioned in this post: https://tinyurl.com/FuskieDisclosure
Fool Code of Conduct: https://www.fool.com/legal/the-motley-fools-rules.aspx#Condu...
Invitation: You are invited to interactively watch Motley Fool Live online television: https://www.fool.com/premium/live/
Call to Action: If you like this or any other post, Rec it. Better yet, reply to it. Even better, start your own thread. This is YOUR TMF Community!
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.