Skip to main content
Update
The boards are getting a new home!

We're pleased to announce an update is coming to the community boards.

Sunday, September 25th: We are migrating the boards to a new platform. The site is currently in read-only mode and we will bring it back online as soon as the migration is complete.

Fool.com | The Motley Fool Community
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
You may be a bit overly bearish long term, though I agree near term... As for a permanent loss of capital if you invested near the top I agree - just like if you invested in Yahoo, EMC, etc in 1999. I'm thinking the signs of market stability will bring a massive rally - similar to the 1000 point gain we saw mid-October - but that rally will only bring the dow to the low 9000's by the end of next year. I'm thinking it'll cross 10,000 again sometime the year following (2010) ... as for 10 years from now who knows, the dow could go to 20,000 as the dollar loses over half its value; it could stay roughly the same; there may be an entirely new bubble in place or the bottom of the next bear market. I would expect at least a temporary rally to bring us close to 12 again in the next decade - and we'll have to decide at the time if it seems sustainable or if it's just the early-mid 70's all over again.

-John T
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.