Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
You may be able to entice him by telling him that there could be a way for him to make perfectly legal Roth contributions going forward.

If the availablity of this is possible without reducing current earned (W2) income, would love to know for myself how to make Roth IRA contributions when you exceed income maximums.

It's more or less as ferjen said. If you have no traditional IRA account, including SEPs, SIMPLEs, and rollovers from prior employer plans, you can make a nondeductible contribution and immediately convert it to Roth with no current tax effect. If you do have pre-tax money in any traditional IRA account each distribution, including conversions to Roth, is a proportional mix of taxable pre-tax and nontaxable post-tax money.

Rule Your Retirement Home Fool
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.