Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
You may have to shop around to look for a bank/investment company that meets your intended invesetment needs and activity levels. If you intend to use your HSA as more of a short-term "pass through" account (e.g., similar to an FSA, where $ goes in and then is routinely pulled), you may not need anything more than a savings account (with debit card or check writing priveleges).

Because I hope to not tap into my funds for a while, I specifically shopped for a bank/investment company that provided self-directed brokerage options. I ended up chosing Bancorp. As I mentioned previously, fees for investing (with Bancorp, anyway) seem steep: $26 per buy/sell trade, and it looks like there are fees for inactivity (at least one trade required per year otherwise $25 fee), and also a fee if your brokerage balance falls below a minimum amount. I don't believe any of those fees are applicable if you simply keep everything in the regular savings account. With good planning, the fees can be minimized.

I don't see any reason why one could not open up a 2nd HSA account (as foolbar suggests) to deposit additional funds to reach the limit cap (not otherwise funded by employer).

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.