No. of Recommendations: 2
You may want to look your prospective funds up on Morningstar.com. Their profile gives you a pretty good overview and performance analysis.

However, my recent exploration at Vanguard revealed that it can be quite expensive for young people just starting out. While they reduce the minimum startup amount to $1000 (assuming you are making the maximum $3000 contribution for 2002), they do charge a number of fees that will reduce your annual gains. Some of these fees get waived after you reach $10,000, but that will take you a few years.

As was pointed out to me just last Friday by some more foolish than me, ScotTrade is an on-line discount brokerage that allows you to open an IRA, invest in over 8200 different funds (including the Vanguard family) for no extra fees. They do not provide research tools, but a Fool such as yourself can find other ways to remain educated. Good luck, and you are getting a great early start at retiring a millionaire.

David
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.