Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
You mentioned epoxy. I used epoxy in the utility area of my basement, it turned out great. Definitely not a DIY project IMO, but most places have pros who can do it if you look up “garage floor refinishing.”

That said, if I had it to do over, I would’ve just done a polished concrete finish, like you see in a lot of restaurants and some homes. At the time, the only company I could find to do that only did commercial properties, not residential.

Given your first choice is vinyl, can you use epoxy to level first?
(It could be DIY for such a small area.)

In another part of my basement, I carpeted. The floor dipped at the base of a steel pipe column, and I think the contractor used concrete to fill that in, although it might have been leveling compound. The edges where he feathered did chip off, so I vacuumed that up before the carpet went down. So, a bit of a seam instead of perfectly smooth, but not a problem under carpet.
Might be a problem under vinyl.

Also, no one’s going to walk on the floor that close to a column, so if/when it does dry and crack, it shouldn’t crunch.

Decades ago, a contractor used leveling compound on a plywood subfloor, under vinyl, in my kitchen. It was lumpy, so he had to remove it and do it over. Second time was fine. The kitchen table went over it, so I don’t know if it would’ve been a problem with people walking on it.
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer - Please Read
A message about professional advice.
Useful Resources
Our Home Center has all you need to make buying and owning a home a great experience. Get or refinance a mortgage and much more!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.