Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
You might be able to reverse an IRA contribution in the same year you made it, but the idea you will be able to withdraw principal tax free in the future is incorrect.

When you take a distribution from your IRA, you will pay a 10% penalty if prior to age 59-1/2 (or not according to exceptions to the rules) and the portion of your distribution that is refund of principal and therefore tax free is calculated on Form 8606 when you file your income taxes. The IRS decides how much; not you.

If you think you will need the funds in 7-8 years, you would be best off to put that portion into taxable investments and invest them LTBH (long term buy and hold). That way you pay income taxes only at capital gains rates and then only when you sell. There are no penalties to deal with.

The rest of your funds would best be invested in a Roth IRA (which has no incomes taxes due in retirement) if you qualify.
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.