Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
You misunderstood me.

No need to defend yourself. You definitely make the "A list" of people I'd like to meet! (Don't bother telling me where I may rank on your list -my fragile ego couldn't handle it)

My point was that comparing yourself to others is irrelevant with respect to how close you are to FIRE. Comparison can certainly be a morale booster and I think most people, for better or worse, compare themselves but shouldn't put that much emphasis on it. A trustfund playboy may have tons of wealth relative to no/low income but could still be very far from financial independence. I manage my personal life (and professional life where I have influence) based off of 3 key questions: Where am I? Where do I want to be? What do I need to do to get there? Where anyone else is is irrelevant (other than possible influence over me they may have).

I enjoyed TMND as easy reading but laughed at the limitations of the formula from day one (I read it just out of college with miniscule net worth compared to my rapidly increasing income). Even now, I doubt it applies much even though I'm 10 years out of college and my income growth has slowed dramatically.

FoolNBlue (Fire Wannabee and www.ronpaul2008.com supporter)
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.