Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
You moved "at the end of 2001", which means that you probably would have needed to file both California and New York state income taxes. Did you have any California sourced income in 2002? If a final check was issued in 2002, it might have triggered the requirement to file a California return.

We moved during Christmas break of 2001 and didn't need to file New York until 2002, with zero California income. I lost my job November 2001 and had received all of my back pay, vacation pay, and etc., by the end of the year. I was looking at a sizable federal return, so we filed before the end of February 2002.

I'm trying to remember if we had a tax accountant at that time, but I don't think we did. We had an accountant prepare our taxes up to the year 2000 and again in 2003. I suppose I could call my NY accountant (prepared the 2003 - 05 returns) to see if I may have given him copies of the prior years.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.