Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 5
You must be more determined as an investor, as I believe I saw you follow some 20+ stocks. That's a significant daily effort. Are all yours within one industry segment, such as semiconductors (RMBS, CREE, AMCC)?

My core 20 stocks that I follow daily are all in one portfolio that I maintain on Yahoo. They are all technology stocks, but in a variety of industries. It does not take very long to look all 20 charts. Once you are looking at one chart on yahoo, and have your parameters set (ie. a 3 month chart, with 50 day EMA, MACD, RSI, and Volume selected) all you have to do is enter the next symbol, and up pops the next chart. I can look at a chart in 5 seconds or less and see if it is approaching a buy signal.

In a way, a focused group of stocks within one industry segment like chips would be following a "gorilla game" strategy of owning all the gorilla candidates in one segment until the gorilla emerges. Is that your strategy?

My strategy is to identify potential Gorilla's hopefully before they become real Gorilla's, and I do that for tech stocks in a variety of industries. Then I watch the charts, for appropriate TA entry points (both long and short entry points). I use my system for entry and exits to avoid any emotion coming into the decision. I reevalute the performance of my system (sometimes as often as each trade), to determine if I need to " slightly modify" stop loss limits, entry points, etc. My biggest challenge right now is to devise a strategy of how much of my trading account I allocate to long positions, vs how much of my trading account I devote to short positions.

Your 4-variable TA technique might be reduced to one term -- "momentum" assessment. Is there any value to other indices of momentum, such as c/net's table?

Yes, my technique is definitely a momentum technique, but the key is to have a preset stop loss order strategy to minimize losses yet still allow the winners to run. There is value in any resource that can identify stocks with momentum, but I have never even heard of C/net's table, but I'm going to check it out in a few minutes after I finish posting this post.

Best Regards to all,

NukeJohn

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.