Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 2
You need a power of attorney to sign tax forms on behalf of another living adult. I'll assume your student daughter is over the age of majority in your state. That applies to an electronic signature on the federal return as well as the physical signature on your state return. If she's still a minor, you can sign her returns as her parent with no problem.

Since she's getting refunds, there would be no penalty for filing her returns after she returns. (Gotta love the English language sometimes!)

There's also a more practical answer, but since that is technically not legal, I won't spell it out. Just keep in mind that I don't believe the IRS or state tax agencies have a large staff of handwriting experts at their beck and call.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.