Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
You need to let your tax preparer know how much you've contributed to your Roth for the year. Any moving of funds within your roth shouldn't make a difference -- BUT -- if you have switched funds between a roth and a traditional, there will be tax implications.

In otherwords, if you have a $5000 in a traditional IRA and you convert it to a Roth, then, since you didn't pay taxes on that money when you made the contribution, you will have to now.

Also, you have until April 15th of this year (or until the time you file your 2001 taxes) to make contributions to your roth for the year 2001. Just make sure to let your tax preparer know everything that you've done with regard to your retirement contributions.

Hope this helps. Happy New Year,
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.