Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
You need to transfer the 403b to a rollover IRA and then convert it to a Roth IRA. You can't go directly to a Roth. You will have to pay the taxes on the conversion amount(from rollover to Roth).They want you to have seperate accounts so you don't co-mingle after tax money with pre tax money. All contributions to the Roth are made with after tax dollars and all contributions made to the rollover IRA were made with pre tax dollars. If you co-mingle the funds you will not be able to transfer the rollover into another company sponsored plan down the road.
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.