No. of Recommendations: 3
You really think that's all most teachers work?

Nope, but I'm really tired of teachers insisting that they work much harder than the rest of the world. People in private industry work just as hard, and work as many if not more hours. The lament tends to be that teachers are underpaid for the work that they do, and I disagree with that sentiment.

People in the private sector may make more salary, but they work more days.

Let's just do some simple math. Let's assume that teachers work the same number of hours per day as an average worker in the private sector, so that eliminates the delta between the contractual hours (6 1/2 vs. 8 hour days). Starting teachers in MA make around $43k, but reach something like $80k after about 10 years, so let's just use $60k per year as an average salary. That works out to $320/day based on a 187 day work year. If they worked the same 250 days that the private sector works, they would be making $80k annually. Instead, they get the summers off where they can choose to get another job, take classes, spend time with their children, go golfing, or whatever they choose.

I don't find this salary to be too little when compared with the private sector and annualizing what they'd make to do some sort of apples to apples comparison.

They chose their career, and with it, they know the salary to be expected as well as the working conditions. They also get a significant amount of job security since jobs are eliminated based on seniority and not performance, so once they've been in a school system for a few years, they are fairly safe in terms of having an income, which is not true in the private sector.

I'm tired of what I consider whining on the part of teachers and just do not think they have it as bad as they would have us believe. And I do believe that they are fairly compensated.
Print the post  

Announcements

Live Video Event Monday!
The GP team is hosting a live video event on Monday at 4 p.m. ET. Don't worry if you can't make it — we'll have a replay and a transcript. Click for more!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.