No. of Recommendations: 2
You report the gain on Sch D just like a stock transaction.

If you meet the requirements for the exemption, you also claim it on Sch D. Generally the requirement is you owned the property for at least five years and lived in it for two of those years. You get a $250K exemption if single, or $500K if married.

And if your gain exceeds the exemption, you can adjust your cost basis to include the cost of improvements over the years following the same rules as before. Improvements are deductible but not repairs/maintenance.

There's an IRS publication available on the website that provides details for all of this.
Print the post  


What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.