Skip to main content
This Board Has Moved

This board has been migrated to our new platform! Check out the new home page at discussion.fool.com or click below to go directly to the new Board on the new site.

Go to the New Site
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
You said it L2S, yeah that's it.

I know there are a set number of people who are like, hey, I gotta get rid of this debt. But it's not new if you've read all these posts (and I guess I wrote a lot of them so I know it's in there), that the debt is OK to keep going if you have it managed properly, and in fact you are better off carrying debt from a "soft" creditor like Direct Loans than a "hard" creditor like a mortgage company.

(This is because the student loan contains the various deferment/forbearance provisions, and even now a more favorable interest rate deduction if you qualify. If you lose your job, you can temporarily stop paying the student loan. If you temporarily stop paying your mortgage, you might be looking for another house, etc. etc.)

I think people should do with their own money what they want, but these are important facts to consider.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.