No. of Recommendations: 3
You say for "long term investors, no matter how old they are"...this sounds like a contradiction since the older you are, the shorter your time horizon. If you're 55 and 6 years into retirement, and making a 5% withdrawal per year (for example), you could be wiped out with a 90%/10% allocation if P/E revert to the mean over the next few years. That allocation is extremely aggressive.

I agree that 90/10 is extremely agressive for a truly retired person. At 55 however, I'm guessing he's taking these risks because he could always go back to work if he had to...

If you're 55, you must remember the 70s...

1/1/73 S&P 500 was at 118
1/1/75 S&P 500 was at 68
1/1/82 S&P 500 was at 122 (and then started heading up, up, up)

Anyone who was "really" retired (unable to work) and withdrawing money each year would have been seriously hurt if he or she was in 90/10 stocks/bonds from 1973-1982. However, at least the dividend yield was 4-5% during those years.

Now the dividend yield is less than 2%....

Do you really think that a stock market like 1973-1982 can't happen again? It can, and conditions are right for it do so - based on history. It doesn't mean it WILL happen, but it's certainly possible.

I wouldn't be 90/10 at this time if I was retiring soon.

Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.