Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
you seem to be pretty knowledgeable. perhaps you can also answer my questions...

I am also just starting out and thinking about buying a duplex. cost is $150,000 and i can get it with a down payment of $4250. The mortgage is $966 and the monthly income (before expenses) is $1625. I would not live in it and would rent out both sides. If it goes okay, then I would get more involved in this type of investing.

I have heard that to protect myself, I should start a C-corporation. I'm just not sure when I should do this. Do I set up the corporation, then put my money into the corp and then use that to get financing?

Should I just get this one duplex in my own name and then get it added to my regular taxes at the end of the year?? It might push me into the higher tax bracket so I'm concerned with that. Could I keep it in my name and then sell it to the corporation?? Someone said I might not be able to get a loan to my corporation unless it has been around for 6 months, but the only reason I would open the corporation is to purchase/maintain the real estate...

Any advice you can give??
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.