Skip to main content
This Board Has Moved

This board has been migrated to our new platform! Check out the new home page at discussion.fool.com or click below to go directly to the new Board on the new site.

Go to the New Site
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
You seem to have made a decision on selling some portion of your GM shares. You need to decide if there are any issues affecting WHEN you want to sell. You having GMH shares to sell as a result of this trade-in program will probably not happen for another month. So, does this make a difference in your decision to sell?

> Is there any reason that I can't trade my GM stock
> for GMH and then cash in the GMH for cash?

Nope, but you are assuming that the GM->GHM deal will occur. GM expects stockholders to agree to trade-in approximately 29M shares before they are "obligated" to execute the trade-in program. The exchange offer period expires on May 19th. I not sure what the timeframe for the actual exchange is once GM determines if they are going to execute the trade-in.

Also, unless you are going to sell the shares via Fleet, who is holding the trade-in shares as book-entries in an account, you will need to wait until the certificates arrive.

> When you do this trade do they use the selling
> price of the stocks on the day you decide to make
> the trade or some other price?

I'm confused by your question. When you say "trade", do you mean the trade-in of GM->GMH or your sale of GMH after your trade?

If you mean your trade-in of GM->GMH, sales price is not an issue, except for the redemption of fractional shares. For example, the exchange ratio of the offer is 1.065. So, if you trade-in 10 shares of GM, you would receive 10 shares of GMH + the cash equivalent for 0.65 shares.

If you mean your sale of GMH, this is dependent on the broker you sell the GMH shares through. You should get some kind of quote from your broker on the sales price prior to your sale.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.