Skip to main content
Update
Non-financial boards have been closed.

Non-financial boards have been closed but will continue to be accessible in read-only form. If you're disappointed, we understand. Thank you for being an active participant in this community. We have more community features in development that we look forward to sharing soon.

Fool.com | The Motley Fool Community
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
You should appreciate that Europe is not utopia for wireless communications. Peak time tariffs are a rip-off. 4 pounds/$6 for a peak time call with Hutchinson Orange. Then a lot of people like myself don't pay at all. 4 mobile networks in UK- Orange, One to One(deutsche telecom owned), Vodafone and BT Cellnet. Two of them, Orange and one to One offer unlimited freephone access(0800 numbers). With this you can dial out with a freephone number to another telephone provider(e.g.First Telecom) who offer calls at the same price as British Telecoms landline standard tariff. Vodafone and Cellnet know this and put a standard tariff on any freephone number.

Owning a mobile 2 years ago used to be good. Previously the low social classes never had access. Now everyones got one and the networks are sometimes jammed in densely populated areas i.e Network Busy displayed on your mobile. Now this is particuarly relevant for internet access via a mobile. On the current GSM networks data transfer rate is 13kbps. Using a laptop and mobile to make online trades can be hazardous. Whereas with voice calls being cut off is infrequent, with internet it is a very common occurrence. At peak trading times e.g. 8am and 4.30am it is difficult even to connect with an ISP because the mobile networks are so crap. When GPRS replaces GSM for internet access the data transfer rate will be around 40kbps. This has been delayed and when it does come out and becomes popular I would expect similar problems.

Any lead Europe has could be evaporated as the mobile companies are spending billions to get their srd Generation licences. Investment in hardware should be the barely adequate minimum. Believe me there is nothing to be envious of. You are better off worrying about your fuel costs this winter.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.