No. of Recommendations: 0
You should call Social Security and ask. They are very good at answering such questions.

Others know better than I, but I think the answer is this--

1. If you are over 62 and qualify for Social Security payments, you can begin taking those payments based either on your own record, your spouses record, or a previous spouses record if you were married more than 10 yrs. You get only one check, but you can pick the record that nets you the largest check.

2. Yes, the age at which you take your payments determines the reduction of the payments on your own record too. (But some say there are ways to repay the payments, cancel the first plan and then begin again at a later age with better payments.)

3. If you are currently working and have earned income, it will further reduce the SS payments you receive above fairly modest amounts.

SS can probably tell you how much you would receive under each record and how the payment would change if you delay taking payments to future years.
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.