Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 6
you should never want to apply for positions that do not use all of your employment skills

Who the heck are you to say what sort of work someone else should want to do?! [Marge Simpson growl] Not everyone wants a pedal-to-the-metal job, not for their entire work life anyhow. I sure didn't.

My concern is that it may be more difficult to create different resumes for different purposes these days as all resumes, once submitted, may be on servers somewhere accessible to anyone. Not to mention scial media like LinkedIn.

ASIDE
Some employers may think of omissions as lying. I think of it more like salesmanship. One of the things I've done for a couple of people is made their crazy-quilt job history look like a sensible career trajectory on paper.

I have recommended hiring people who were "overqualified" (e.g., junior tech writer with law degree and experience at the bar), but not everyone is so open minded. Most employers don't want "the best," but rather someone who "fits in." I lost out on a job once because mgt didn't think I fit in. I was better educated, somewhat older and in a different life phase from my peers--I was married with children, they were single and partied after work often. I was a mature woman with confidence in my opinions, they felt and acted subservient to the male masters. I'm so glad they didn't hire me! The next place I interviewed was perfect--they were delighted to have someone "overqualified" and gave me increasing responsibility over the years I worked there. Why didn't I use those qualifications to get a "better" job? I wanted mothers hours (9-2) and NO additional work outside the office.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.