Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
You should note that lowering your taxable income to increase the amount of 5%-taxable gain is very foolish (not Foolish).

If one isn't contributing one's legal maximum to a 401(k) or 403(b) in year 2005, one could Foolishly lower one's taxable income by increasing the 401(k) or 403(b) pre-tax contributions. The Year 2005 pre-tax limit to a 401(k) or 403(b) is $14,000 ($18,000 if 50 or older by December 31, 2005). Specific 401(k) plans may have lower limits as specified by the Plan Document.

One might also consider "bunching" itemized deductions in 2005 if one is itemizing.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.