Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
You should see an accountant on this one - you may be able to avoid taxes on all of your gain since you only rented for 4 years. You actually lived in the house for 1 out of the past 5 years and in some circumstances you may be able to erase (not defer) up to $125,000 of gain. This would especially apply if you moved out because of a job change or disability (I think).
Plus there's the issue of depreciation. You have to deduct the depreciation over the past 4 years from your basis, which effectively increases your gain. Did you include that in your $20,000?
Find an accountant who is familiar with the above. Interview them on the phone. I have had bad tax advice that cost me thousands and I have had wonderful advice that saved me thousands. Don't wait till March.

BTW you can deduct your stock losses against house gain. But find out from a pro first.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.