Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 2
You think retired folks living in rural KY are going to rush to sign up for $100/month plus all sorts of extra cost programming

Yes, internet it optional. Yes, it should be. But it should also be available to those who want it.

I was on dial-up when I moved to St. Louis county in '06. DSL did not arrive until two years later. And in my town we have people who still do not have broadband access. They claim their kids have trouble doing their homework without it. Presumably they will access the internet via smart phones and tablet computers.

High speed internet is a relative term. We are all spoiled by graphics, color and video by internet, when most of what we receive could be handled by ASCII text. As more speed becomes available, more glitter is added. Its the style.

People who are stuck accessing the internet by dial up are at a major disadvantage. In my experience, slow connections often time out before the transmission is completed. A simple update from the likes of HP can take hours. Its a lot worse than waiting 20 min for a movie to download.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.