No. of Recommendations: 0
You will fund your Roth with say $2,000. Then you'll buy your stocks. You must take into account what you'll be charged per trade ($7.95 per stock bought with Suretrade, as you know). You can only buy a certain $ amount. ($7.95*4= $31.80, then $2,000 - $31.80 = $1,968.20. So, now you buy whatever stocks you want with that remaining money, if you're buying the PR4. The trading commissions do come out of the $2,000 contribution. But, to answer your other question as well, you are right that Suretrade has no annual fee for Roth IRA's, so there are no other fees that I can think of.

You answered my question perfectly, many thanx. I suppose the next question I'll pose (to myself as well as others) is, "why?"

It would make much more sense, in my opinion, to allow one to contribute the maximum amount into the IRA, then extract trading commissions and any fees from the balance of their cash account (if they don't have enough cash to cover fees, the transaction deosn't go through. That way the person can get the maximum return by investing the maximum amount (not maximum less transaction fees). I wonder how that works then when one wants to fund the IRA with $1000.00 initially, then add $1000.00 later? so you have $1000.00 less the four investment commissions == $968.20 balance in you IRA with $1000.00 left until the ceiling is reached. Then, say 6 months later I wish to add $1000.00 (in the same four stocks in the same proportions, for the sake of argument), I once again pay $31.80 in commissions out of the $1000.00 leaving my IRA at $1,936.40 for the year, and no more contributions allowed to be made :( It may not be a big deal, but I wish that final figure were as close to $2000.00 as my indvidual stock prices would allow. Is there another way to go about this such that the comissions come out of somewhere other than the IRA balance?

One last point, If (and I know this is very unFoolish, but I'm trying to argue this in my head and make it all make sense) half-way through the year I wish to trade stocks (not invest additional capital, but perhaps swap-out my F4 for something more stable such as the Vanguard fund, then do those four sells and one buy (a total of $39.75) also get extracted from the balance of the IRA such that principal balance is now only $1896.65??

There must be a better way!

Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.