Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
You will not be able to get a non-repayable grant. You are making too much money. For scholarships, you need some type of college history because of your age.

I'm not sure why this author suggested you were making too much money -- until you fill out the FAFSA, no one will know how much aid you are eligible for. Many things factor into your eligibility, with income being only one of those factors. Also, the deadline for applying for the FAFSA is in July -- but it's July of the <u>following</u> year. For instance, if you apply for aid for the 2001-2002 school year, the deadline would be July of 2002. Now granted, by the end of the school year, there's precious little money left, so your changes of getting grants sink with each passing month. But definitely apply -- at the very least, you might be eligible for a Perkins or Stafford loan. DON'T take the subsidized loan, however, unless it's the only way you can pay for it -- this means that interest will accumulate while you're in school. With the unsubsidized Stafford loan, the government pays the interest for you while you're in school. By the way, you can apply online for the FAFSA at http://www.fafsa.ed.gov

In addition, there are plenty of scholarships out there for people with NO college history behind them. Just check out the library or bookstore for the plethora of books that list thousands of scholarships available to potential students merely because they happen to be from a particular ethnic background, or had a father who was an Elk, or a mother who worked for the Post Office, etc. You just need to do a little research. Believe me, it's worth it. I started back to school 2 years ago at the age of 44, and am loving it. I graduate in June of 2002, and hope to start law school in the fall.

So apply for the FAFSA, and get whatever aid you can this year. Next year, apply as <u>early</u> as possible. I usually apply as soon as I finish my taxes, which is early February, and have managed to get some pretty decent financial aid packages. And as one person mentioned, talk to the financial aid counselor at the school, and mention your unique circumstances. Schools work around stuff like this all the time, and if you don't tell them about it, they'll never know.
Print the post  

Announcements

Paying For School Guide
Trying to Tackle Tuition? The Motley Fool's Guide to Paying for School will help you fight those rising education costs.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.