Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
You would fill in form 1040. As you fill it in you should get most the information you need. For example, the reference to TD90-22.1 appears on line 7a of schedule B. However if you are subject to a tax treaty or are claiming dual-status (that is, part of the year as a non-resident, part as a resident) you might want to speak to an advisor who deals in internation affairs with your other country.

TD90-22.1 is available from the "Forms and Publications" part of the IRS site, or you can request it from the IRS order line. You get until 30th June to file it.

You only need 1078 if you want to inform someone that withholds interest that you are a resident rather than non-resident alien, so that they get your withholding correct. It is not filed with the IRS.

A Moose
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Live Video Event Monday!
The GP team is hosting a live video event on Monday at 4 p.m. ET. Don't worry if you can't make it — we'll have a replay and a transcript. Click for more!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.