Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
You wrote a long one! I'll take'em one at a time.

You wrote:

"What did no one talk much about? Whether the documents could have been written on a 1970's typewriter. (Allegations were that it could not have, particularly because of the "superscript" used in some of the words. As it turns out, that was wrong; they could - indeed - have been written on a 1970's typewriter. But CBS can't confirm that, so they have backed off.)"

My reply: 99% of experts say the documents are fake! and most of them believe it was produced on Microsoft Word.

You wrote:

"It goes on to note that CBS read, then showed the documents to people at the White House, including the President and no one said "Those are phony.""

My reply: The documents were NOT shown to the president, only to Dan Bartlett. Where did you get your info they were shown to the President?

You wrote:

Burkett, who provided the documents, has a history of anti-Bush grudge stuff, on the other hand, he was in a position to have acquired some of this material. So CBS gambled and lost.

My reply: In the heat of a presidential campaign, especially with documents that may hurt the Commander in Chief, you don't gamble. And when you concider all of those who warned CBS not to go with the documents and not to air the story, I would call it more of a smear job than a gamble.

You wrote:

So CBS probably got the story wrong, even though the sentiments in the story were correct.

My reply: On what authority do you contend the sentiments in the story are correct? The son and wife of the supposed author of the documents say the sentiments are FALSE!

You wrote: As my Jon Stewart poscript for the day, does "purereason" find it strange that of everything that has happened in the past few years, only Rather gets a "gate", as in "Rathergate"? There's no Valerie Plamegate, no Abu Ghraibgate, no Uraniumgate, no WMDgate, no deficitgate, no steel tariffsgate, no My Pet Goatgate? Yes, the liberal media has managed to steer clear of every one of those - except for Dan Rather's mistake.

My reply: Are you Michael Moore?

Sicerely'

pure reason
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.