Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
You'll still be paying federal income tax, though you will get a tax credit for taxes paid to Germany. (There is something called foreign earned income exclusion, but I think you have to live abroad for the entire tax year to qualify for that...)

So if it's for 18 months, and I leave in June/July, then I wouldn't be eligible for that tax credit until 2004? I'd most likely be overseas for most, if not all, of 2004.

I still hope they'll work out a SOFA for us, but as a civilian contractor, they're apparantly not obligated to do that. Any other info will be greatly appreciated.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.