Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 2
Your broker can call you up and suggest any investment consistent with the information you gave when you set up your account, or maybe subsequently changed, concerning whether your objective be preservation of capital, income, growth, or speculation.
To give a broker "discretion" over your account, in which he makes whatever trades he wishes without consulting you, is a blank check. Usually it results in a lot of buying and selling that can generate huge commissions and dissapate your capital in a short period. This has led to lots of lawsuits, so I'd expect the brokers are getting a little wiser.
Many of the larger brokerage firms have various flavors of "managed accounts" with a supposedly all-inclusive wrap fee based on the amount of assets under management. The greater your account, the higher the annual fee to the advisor. This may, over time, work out well. I've so far declined all such offers, feeling the fee is too high, and the ability to deduct the wrap fee from taxes rather iffy--in contrast with usual fee for service commissions, where you clearly subtract the commission from proceeds and add it to costs.
I'd be very leery about such an arrangement.
Best wishes, Chris
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.