Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Your choices are to place your IRA with a mutual fund company or with a discount broker. Mutual fund company is easier if you haven't done this before. The lowest fees are with Vanguard index funds. Or if there are particular stocks you are burning to own, you transfer your current holdings to the discount broker.
If your current holdings are in individual stocks, there would be significant fees to have your current broker sell them--but there is no need to do so. You could transfer the stocks to the discounter, then buy and sell as you wish. No advisor fees, no advice from advisor, do your own work.
If your current holdings are in mutual funds, the advisor probably has you in load funds--getting out of them, if you have B shares, can be expensive too.

If you wish to make a switch, the procedure is to select your new custodian, send the new custodian a copy of your statement of your current account. The new custodian will provide papers which you sign and to which you attach the statement, directing that the account be transferred. This will probably take several weeks and your current advisor won't be happy.
However, doing your own management is the Foolish way. Good luck, Chris
Print the post  


When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.