No. of Recommendations: 0
We are planning a trip to Maine. Does anyone have any favorite places or things to do? Restaurants? Towns? Thanks for any recommendations.

Footsox
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
Bar harbor! Walk to the island at low tide. Acadia national park ... lots to see.

Teri
Such a Big State!

Microbrews & vineyards, cryptozoology museum, so many harbors, hiking, kayaking, whale watching, boat tours, lighthouses, Arcadia, LL Bean, Lobsters...

peace & what do you like?
t
No. of Recommendations: 2
Made one family trip there years ago, rented a house on the water in Bar Harbor. One of the best things we did was rent bikes and ride through Acadiana National Park.

JLC
Go there in August and September unless you like cold weather.

I went there last year in November for a retreat, it was cold and rainy and not good sightsseing time.
I went to Portland, Maine
Thanks guys. We are planning on Portland and a few days in Bar Harbor. Looking for fun things to do in Portland - Maybe some boat tours? Any suggestions? What would be a good day trip South of Portland? Going to go to Acadia National Park. If we rent bikes, how hilly is it?

Thanks for any suggestions.

-Footsox
One of the things we did in Portland is take the ferry out to peaks island. There is a cute little town and shops. We rented bikes and did a loop around the island. There are a lot of cool beaches and rock outcrop areas to explore. Would be tough to walk around the whole island but is doable I suppose. Peaks Island is fairly flat so an easy bike ride

There is a bit more elevation change in Acadia but not too bad, unless you do Cadillac Mountain on the bike...that is a bit of a climb. The park is really set up for bikers and there are tons of trails for bikes so you aren't on the road all the time.

If you have time, do the ranger lead discussion at night on Sand Beach. You take a blanket and lay on your back looking at the stars while they discuss all the constellations and things. We really enjoyed it. I also took my camera and tripod and stayed after to get milky way shots...one of the best spots in the states for the night skies.

Cadillac Mountain at sunrise is also a very popular thing. You would be surprised how many get up early for that event. I believe that is the first spot in the US that gets sunlight due to how far east it is and its elevation.

I won't go into everything we did (we rented a house in Bar Harbor for a week). Was great to be able to just walk into town for all the restaurants and shops. It is a nightmare parking most of the time.

enjoy,
jhazens
Hi jhazens. Thanks for all the recommendations. I really appreciate it. I think we are going to check out Peaks Island. The constellations talks sound good, but we will be there the first week of June, so probably too chilly in the evenings for us. We are mostly doing Portland (and side trips from Portland) and then Bar Harbor for a few days. Looking forward to it. Thanks.

Footsox