Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
Your income is up significantly. One safe harbor to avoid federal underpayment penality is for you to withhold 100% (or a 110% if income is over $150,000) of your previous years tax liability. You will need to check your state for state tax requirements. Another federal safe harbor is less than $1,000.

As long as you are prepared to write a significant check for taxes in April, it is likely unnecessary for you to increase federal withholding.

Both federal and state accept quarterly estimated tax payments. Since your income is variable, you could make additional quarterly payments.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.