Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Your mom can give as much as she likes. If it's over $14k per year, she just needs to include IRS Form 709 when she files her taxes.

There will be no tax consequences at the time of the gift. After she dies, there might be taxes then depending on the size of her estate.

Without knowing the reason(s) for this gift, I will add that if this is part of an asset-protection plan, you should note that Medicaid has a 5-year look-back. Also, Medicaid doesn't cover assisted living places anyway, just nursing homes, and not even all of those.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.