Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 2
Hi Everone,
We will be retireing in about two years. We worked hard these past 40 years, being very FOOLISH. Now we are looking forward to a secure and comfortable retirement.

In 1989 and 1990, we were looking for some safe investments and easy access to the money in case of an emergency. We bought $30,000 of series EE bonds. The rates were not bad at that time and we didn't have to pay taxes on the money earned.

I haven't checked into when the bonds will be mature or how much the bonds are worth today in actual dollars, but will have to start checking into this investment soon and decide what to do with this money.

And so, that is why I'm here.

I would like to continue keeping this money in a safe investment and have access to it for an emergency as before, but don't know where to invest it.
This time tho, we want to draw out the interest, but not touch the principal.

My first thought is to roll the bonds over to HH bonds and avoid paying taxes on the capital gains in the roll process. (I believe this is still true)

I'm not savy on all the investments there are out there now-a-days, so would appreciate your help and inputs.

Thank you,
anita

Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.