Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
Your plan sounds remarkably like what my family did. I didn't plan to be a SAHM but it made sense.

Look at the costs of you working:
Social Security and Medicare deductions.
Income taxes at higher tax rates.
Transportation and work clothes.
Convenience food and services because you are too tired to do things for yourself.

If you run the numbers on both of you working compared with one of you working, you may be very surprised at how little the second earner actually gains. Add in daycare and the results may be negative. Check "Your Money or Your Life" out of the library for complete guidance on how to calculate the true cost of working.

Ideas:
Make your husband's lunches and a thermos of coffee instead of him eating out.
Make nutritious dinners instead of eating out. Save money on food and health care! Have interesting leftovers for those lunches.
Make a price book so that you will know when the advertised specials are really a good deal and you can stock up. Shop when the stores are less crowded and save time.
Run errands without having to take time off work.
Meet friends who can pass on children's clothes and other stuff.
Wash your own cars. Change your own oil. Make minor repairs. Make things. Grow things. Go to the library. Do laundry.
SAHM can take over finances and investing and tax preparation.
Breastfeed. Use cloth diapers. Pay attention to your children and prevent problems.
Have time to have fun on weekends or exercise on weekdays because the SAHM did the errands and the home/housework. Get your life back.

On the negative side, we use more utilities when I'm home. And we need a second car so I can do all those errands.

Vickifool
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.