Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
You're correct that it is more of a physical damage coverage, but NAIC defines it as a liability coverage.

What'd dey know. ;-)

That is how it is reported on the insurer's annual statement.

That wouldn't surprise me, as UM generally goes hand-in-hand with Liability coverage on policies, the claims are, generally, handled by the same set of adjusters and in a similar fashion, wherein fault plays a significant role. The limits of UM coverage is closely tied to Liability limits. In a way UM is a complementary statutory coverage to Liability - In Illinois, for example, insurers are required to offer BIUM up to the limit of BI Liability carried, the coverage cannot be waived (though in some States it can be) and UMPD must be offered whenever liability is carried unless Collision is carried on the policy. Though I've seen some huge UM and UIM claims paid, the premium is fairly nominal and I've never seen it surcharged for tickets and accidents - I suspect that UM claims paid are subsidized, to a significant extent, by Liability premiums and UM losses are added to Liability losses in determining Liability rate structures (which you seemed to imply in your comments), or am I not correct in that surmise?
Print the post  

Announcements

Beware Flood-Damaged Cars
Know what you are getting, don't get stuck with a Katrina victim. Check these links before you buy.
Disclaimer - Please Read
A message about professional advice.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.