Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
You're losing me, and I'm a pretty logical guy (though admittedly dense).

Now the atom consists of what is now the universe so it is not infinite. It has been there since infinity which is an infinity of time.

Is the atom infinite or not? What is the "it" in "It has been there"? Where?

The change in state has to be measurable otherwise nothing happens.

I understand this point.

So to find out how much energy is involved in the change of state you have an equation that has all the mass on one side and on the other side all the time. As you know dividing a number, no matter how big, by infinity results in zero, naught, 0.

So what is the equation? Are you talking about relativity? If so, then the energy released by the change in state is only equal to the total mass of the universe times the speed of light squared. Where does infinite time come into play?

If you're saying that the finite amount of time since the big bang must equal the infinite time prior to the big bang then you're wrong. This point begs the question. Time, if infinite, stretches infinitely into the past, but the present is a moment that will continue for an infinite amount of time. Therefore, any point in history is a finite amount of time prior to the present, yet an infinite amount of time after the past. This is the problem with infinity--it can't really exist. Because no matter how far back you go, you are still a finite distance from the present. "Infinity", in my opinion, is a mind-expanding mathematical concept describing nonsense.

A similar problem exists with the notion of "infinitismal." Theoretically, there are an infinite number of points between any two point, regarless of how close together they are. Therefore, to get from point A to point B we must traverse an infinite number of points. Since it takes some amount of time, however, small, to get from point A to the next point, and so on, along the infinite series of intermediate points, we can never possibly arrive at point B. However, we know this to be false--we CAN get from point A to point B.

So there is no example of "infinity" in nature. It exists only in our minds and in our mathematical equations. God created. And in doing so, there was a beginning--to time, space, and matter. Let the atheist show me a verifiable example of this notion of "infinity."

However...

What do you mean by dividing by infinity? Why is this required to describe a change in state at a moment in time?

TDT
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.