Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
You're probably referring to the "wash sale" rules. If you sell a stock at a loss and then buy it back in the same company within 30 days, you can't claim the capital loss on the stock you sold. Instead, the loss is added to the basis of the new stock you bought and is used in the calculation of the gain or loss the next time you sell that stock.

There's no such restriction when you have a gain on a sale. Which is a good thing. Case in point: I had bought into Yahoo last February at a split-adjusted $37 per share. When the market tanked early in September, I panicked and sold my entire position in Yahoo for around $78 (after it had dropped from around $120). But then it turned around almost immediately and I got back in within two weeks and bought back almost all the shares I had sold, this time for around $85. Had I not known this rule and waited for 30 days to get back in, I would have had to pay around $130. And the rest, as they say, is history.

And for those of you who are un-Foolish enough to have brokers churning your portfolios for you, you have to watch them. Before I became a Fool and took over my own portfolio (in fact, the very reason I fired the broker and took it over myself!) was that he kept buying high and selling low, and then getting right back in and buying high again in the same stocks. He was completely unaware of the wash sale rules and how much havoc he was causing me on that year's tax return, not to mention the return on my investment!!!!

Tax Attorney

Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.