Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
You're right.

But you mention that it's free money in your pocket later on.

The fact of the matter is that it's free money in your pocket right now. Because of your contributions you are paying out less in income taxes. Granted, the match is really nice, but you are still putting that money that was going to Uncle Sam in your pocket.

Also, you may benefit from a new tax credit this year for contributions to retirement plans, 401(k)s included. If your adjusted gross income (that amount at the bottom of the front page of the Form 1040) is below $50,000 you may be eligible for a credit on your tax return in addition to your normal tax break.

Also, many people forget that by virtue of contributing to a 401(k) plan they are making it more likely that they will be able to deduct contributions to an IRA account.

When my company started its 401(k) plan there was no match either. Now they have consented to match 25% of the first 6% of employee contributions. I've always contributed the max. I consider the match gravy.

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.