Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
You're right, it does sound like she can do the tour but not "turn pro" and thus still compete collegiately. I don't know if that means she won't be paid for the tour other than expenses to get there and hotels and food or what. I do know that doing the tour is what made it impossible for the "Magnificent Seven" to compete in college - but maybe they were all paid extra to do it. Amy Chow did attend Stanford but couldn't compete for the team. (So did Kerri Strug eventually - she went to UCLA and then tranferred. But I didn't like her as much because she did her own tour instead of joining the team. She annoyed me before that too.) But members of the 2000 team are almost all competing for colleges now. I don't remember if there just was no tour or if they all did one but didn't get paid or what. But they definitely are having great success at college. Jamie Dantzscher in particular.

As for this - "We put her in classes on Tuesday and Thursday and just one on Monday, Wednesday and Friday," Patterson said. "My choice would be to have her here and fly her out to meet the tour, so she can start to get some sort of normal existence." The coach is saying that her classes are arranged such that she has the bulk of her academic classes on Tuesdays and Thursdays. That way she can skip her M-W-F class sometimes and just fly to wherever the tour is to perform over the weekend. As to whether that is a "normal existence" - well, not really. But at least she will get to be a full time college student. Amy Chow actually did this when she was at Stanford. She said it was tiring but do-able. Of course Amy Chow was pre-med (IIRC), did the tour on weekends, and maintained her piano playing at a very high level all at the same time, so she may not be the best judge of "do-able."

And if the tour is done by the time college competition starts (January-ish), she could compete in college too. Assuming she isn't considered a pro by then. At least that is how I read it.

Oh, and if you get to talk to her or anything - tell Terin to change her eye make-up. Please! She's a very hard worker and all, but the eye liner is distracting. (BTW, one of her coaches used to be one of my coaches and Armine used to wear similarly heavy eye make-up so I'm wondering if that is where it comes from.)
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.