No. of Recommendations: 0
You're right that the figures cited were not related to the real point- the amount of debt carried from month-to-month on those cards. And I am like you in that I buy almost everything on credit card, due mainly to a free loan and the cool rebates/cash back they give you. But I personally think that it is likely Bill Mann's point is right. I know many people of college level intelligence who are retards when it comes to debt. For example, thinking you are entitled to a brand new car when you graduate when you have no job lined up. Or simply charging everything from washers and dryers, sofas, a phat entertainment system, a car that is more expensive than you can afford...there are many, many people who have terrible spending habits that will not haunt them when the economy is as good as it is. But it will not always be that way.

Anyway, the rule I live by is that if you have to carry an item on your credit card, you can't afford it. Except of course for essential items. Also, I don't think debt is acceptable on cars either. And if you do get a car loan (which usually means you are buying too nice a car), the max amortization should be 4 years on a new one and 3 years on a used. Just my opinions.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.