Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 2
You're the exception though. In 5th grade i was taught Hoover was Lazy Fare and FDR got us out of the Great Depression with bold experimentation. I was taught that even in college. Think of how much unlearning is necessary, and anyone doing the unlearning had to have the weight of a college professor teaching you the opposite of what the college professor taught you in the first place. See what i'm sayin'?

Yeah, I get that. I don't think it was that teacher who made me a Conservative per se, I already was Conservative before then (I supported the GOP even back in the fourth grade). It certainly wasn't my family who made me Conservative either. I was raised by a single mom who was (and is) a lefty. But even then I realized that her political worldview just didn't make any sense to me.

Then again that was back during the presidency of Ronaldus Magnus, so being Conservative was cool in some ways then. I still had teachers telling me the world would end because Reagan would get us into a nuclear war with the USSR (really, my 2nd grade teacher had me too scared to sleep at night!) but Alex P. Keaton was my role-model.

There probably is something to being geneticaly predisposed to certain ideologies, that's really the only way I can explain why I latched onto Conservatism at such a young age despite being almost entirely surrounded by hard-core liberals and have stuck with it despite years and years and YEARS of various teachers and professors trying to teach me to be anything but Conservative (save for that one teacher I was lucky enough to have for two years). It isn't hard to imagine I could have easily turned out liberal otherwise, pretty much everyone else I grew up with did.

Just a few choice encounters (that teacher, my college roommates) and now I'm a hardcore capitalist agnostic conservative (I'm Lutheran on paper, but perhaps the least committed Lutheran in history.) Actually makes my life harder living here in Ann Arbor, but all that means is I have to constantly think about what makes sense in the real world because my beliefs are constantly challenged. Given that for liberals it's all about intentions it's not impossible to shoot down their theories and myths by simply pointing to the results.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.