Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 4
ytm,

You wrote, Interesting move indeed. Going to take a look now at pfd shares and debt.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Warren-Buffett-to-invest-5-rb-...

I would like to add that at first glance Buffett appears to be crazy to be willing to pay BAC par on a 6% coupon. However, Buffett is a lot shrewder than that. Buffett received preferred shares with a par value of $5B and Buffett paid $5B in cash.

But Buffett also received warrants on 700,000,000 (700 million) shares with a strike price of $7.142857/share. I estimate the time-value of those warrants to currently be worth about $3.80/share (minimum) RIGHT NOW, TODAY. That's an effective discount of $2.66B if he had a buyer lined up for the warrants in advance.

Assuming the warrants are worth what I say they are, Buffett effectively paid $2.34B for those preferreds. His effective yield on his purchase price will actually be 12.8%.

Was this a shrewd move on Buffett's part? H*ll yes.

Was it a smart move by Moynihan? That's debatable. Personally I think he gave Buffett way too big a discount (too many warrants). It makes me wonder if Moynihan knew the real value of this deal to Buffett?

- Joel
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.